It’s week 3 of National Preparedness Month and the focus this week is on Hurricane Safety. While living in the Midwest, we don’t have to worry about the serious effects of an active Hurricane but at times it can cause extra rain throughout the Midwest leading to floods.
One of the best ways to prevent flooding in your home is maintaining your sump pump. A sump pump is installed in a pit in the basement to monitor the water levels within the pit. Rising waters are monitored and as they reach the floor level, the water is then pumped outside before it can damage the home.
Sump pumps are relatively low-maintenance but we have 6 ways how-to maintain your sump pump and protect your home from flooding due to sump pump failure.
1. Check the discharge line to make sure it isn’t clogged or frozen. If it is clogged, unclog air vent hole in the line.
2. Check the inlet screen three to four times per year to make sure it is not clogged with residue or debris.
Be In The Know: I’ve Had A Water Damage, Now What?
3. Make sure the float component is unobstructed and can move about smoothly.
4. Scan the pit regularly for any debris that needs to be removed.
5. Every couple of months, test your pump by slowly pouring a bucket of water into the pit. The float should rise with the water level and thus triggering the unit to begin pumping. If it doesn’t begin pumping, you should check the following:
- the unit is plugged in
- the float switch may be unobstructed
- the check valve may be clogged
Read On: How To Prevent A Water Damage
6. When testing the pump, check the exit point outside to make sure the water is pumping where it is supposed to be- far away from the home.
About AmeriClean, Inc.
AmeriClean, Inc was established in 1986 by Bob Eriks in a small warehouse as a provider of Fire Damage Restoration for Northwest Indiana. Fast forward to today and AmeriClean’s services include Carpet, Upholstery, Air Duct, Area Rug, Ceramic Tile Cleaning; as well as: Water Damage Restoration, Fire Damage Restoration and Mold Remediation. With 30 years of experience, AmeriClean, Inc. is now a leading name in water, fire and restoration services for both residential and commercial properties. For more information, visit our website or call 800.654.9101.