Many Americans don’t need to worry if they need flood insurance- the home loan requires it as part of the conditions on the home loan. For the rest of us, we face a serious question of Should I get Flood Insurance? When faced with this question, we must determine if the premium outweighs the risk potential. Along with how to answer this question, we take you through the process of determining if flood insurance is a right fit for your home needs and what to ask your insurance agent when purchasing flood insurance.
Should I Get Flood Insurance?
The 411 on Flood Insurance
According to Flood Smart, flood insurance policies cover physical damage to your property and possessions. This is a special type of insurance that extends coverage to flood homes beyond the standard coverage of homeowners insurance. Flood insurance Programs cover flood damage caused by hurricanes, melting snow, rain and other events that typical homeowners insurance doesn’t cover.
>>Learn More: How-To Maintain Your Sump Pump
House Logic provides a great example of the difference in coverage of flood insurance and homeowners insurance. “For example, if a tree limb pokes a hole in your roof during a rainstorm, and rainwater damages your ceiling and floor, that’s covered by your homeowners insurance. But if heavy rain causes the creek in your neighborhood to overflow into your home, that’s covered only by flood insurance.”
Understanding Flood Risks
- Floods can happen anywhere. The USAA reports in the last five years, floods have affected all 50 states. About 20% of all flood claims come from areas that are considered low risk.
- Flood damage recovery is costly. In 2013, the average flood claim was more than $26,000 (USAA).
- It’s about more than rainfall. Although area history and rainfall patterns are part of determining your risk level, the USAA lists other factors like land development, flood control measures in other areas, river flow changes and storm surge can increase the risk level in your community.
>>Be In The Know: National Preparedness- Flood Safety
Questions for Your Agent
With any type of insurance, it’s important to know exactly what your policy does and does not cover. We’ve gathered a list of questions for your insurance agent when you talk to them about flood insurance.
- What flood zone do I live in?
- Can my zone change, and therefore, my rates?
- What will and won’t be covered against flood damage?
- How much coverage should I get for my building and for my contents?
- What options do I have to reduce my premium?
- What will my deductible be?
- Will my policy provide Replacement Cost Value or Actual Cash Value?
- Who should I call if I have a flood claim? (Hint: AmeriClean!)
About AmeriClean, Inc.
AmeriClean, Inc was established in 1986 by Bob Eriks in a small warehouse as a provider of Fire Damage Restoration for Northwest Indiana. Fast forward to today and AmeriClean’s services include Carpet, Upholstery, Air Duct, Area Rug, Ceramic Tile Cleaning; as well as: Water Damage Restoration, Fire Damage Restoration and Mold Remediation. With 30 years of experience, AmeriClean, Inc. is now a leading name in water, fire and restoration services for both residential and commercial properties. For more information, visit our website or call 800.654.9101.