Vacuuming is one task that everyone has to do, but no one truly enjoys doing it. Proper vacuuming is the easiest and most effective way to keep your carpet clean. Regular vacuuming can also have the largest impact on the air you breathe.
To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember these few easy tips:
- Vacuum the edges in each room before you vacuum the carpet. Have you ever noticed a dark line around the edge of your carpet? That’s dust and dirt that accumulates over time. It may seem nearly impossible to clean the edges of the carpet. If you use the crevice tool on your vacuum you can get those edges and keep your carpet in good shape! This step does take a few extra minutes, but it’s worth it!!!
- Vacuum horizontally and vertically in each room. Yes, you are going over the carpet twice, but this technique ensures that the carpet is lifted and the dirt that may be embedded is removed.
- Vacuum from the furthest corner away from the door and vacuum your way out of the room. Vacuuming your way of the room gives you a moment of bliss when you see a perfectly vacuumed floor on our way out.
- Take your time. A quick once-over doesn’t do much. Slow and steady does the trick.
- Keep an eye on the vacuum bag. Remember to replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full.
- Use a neutralizer if your carpet needs a little freshening. You can add baking soda to the bag in your vacuum to fight odors.
Now that you’ve got some tips on proper vacuuming, you’re probably wondering how often you should vacuum. Well, as a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a quality vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum.
The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.