The Super Bowl is right around the corner, and as parties are being planned, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that things stay safe, healthy and fun. Here you’ll find some helpful tips to help you plan a great Super Bowl party for friends and family. Limit Alcohol While Super Bowl parties and alcohol usually go hand in hand, it’s important to remember that these events do not need to revolve around drinking. This is important for a number of reasons.
- First, the Super Bowl is held during the winter, a time of year when many people suffer from the winter blues. And even though parties are usually happy occasions, alcohol can cause a person’s depression to become worse.
- Next, there are certain groups of people who shouldn’t drink alcohol. Pregnant women, diabetics and those with liver, kidney or pancreas problems shouldn’t drink at all.
- Last, drinking alcohol can lead to people engaging in unsafe behavior. The reason is because alcohol causes people to lower their inhibitions and do things they ordinarily wouldn’t do, while impairing a person’s judgment. Driving under the influence and teenage drinking are two of the dangers of having a Super Bowl party centered on alcohol.
Having alcohol at a Super Bowl party is fine, but there are some safety precautions that should be followed:
- Always use a designated driver. If no one is available to take intoxicated party guests home, then party hosts should have room available for party guests to stay for the night.
- Remember that the body can metabolize about one drink per hour, so as long as someone sticks to just one drink an hour, they can avoid the majority of the intoxicating affects. One drink is one beer, one glass of wine or one ounce of hard liquor.
- Party hosts should have non-alcoholic drinks available for those who choose not to drink and those who are drinking should alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to avoid getting drunk.
Healthy Food Party hosts should make sure that whatever fare they serve is healthy. Many Super Bowl parties feature pizza and wings, but these party staples are loaded with fat, salt and have little nutritional benefit. Instead party hosts should be sure that the food they serve follows these healthy guidelines:
- Include fresh fruit and vegetables, such as carrot sticks, apple wedges, and broccoli florets. This will vary based upon what is in season and locally available.
- Offer low-fat or non-fat dressings and dips.
- Offer lean forms of protein and consider some vegetarian/vegan options.
- Make sure that food is low in calories, fat, sugar and sodium
- Be aware of any special dietary needs such as diabetes or those on restricted diets and be sure to have selections available that meet those needs.
- Always follow food safety guidelines, such as proper holding temperatures, avoiding cross contamination and hand washing.
Get Physical Americans are notorious for their sedentary lifestyles, so during half time and commercial breaks, get moving. Physical activity doesn’t have to be hard to be effective. Something as simple as throwing the pig skin in the yard during commercial breaks or dancing along with the half-time show will do the trick. It doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated, just get moving. Stay Warm Since the Super Bowl takes place during the winter, staying warm is essential, especially during outdoor tailgating parties, although it can also get cold inside as well. Hypothermia can occur extremely quickly and can be life threatening. There are a number of ways to stay warm during Super Bowl parties.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Loose layers with the outer layer being wind and waterproof will help keep party goers warm outdoors. Dressing warmly is also important if someone is going to be indoors, since people going in and out can cause the temperature in a room to drop, causing people to become chilled.
- Keep the amount of exposed skin to a minimum. Wear hats, mittens or gloves, and scarves to keep as much heat in as possible.
- Drink warm liquids and eat warm foods. Avoid alcohol and caffeine because these can cause the body to lose heat faster.
- Look for unique ways to get warm. Air activated warmers are extremely helpful in warming the body and are available in a variety of sizes and are inexpensive.
Basic Safety No matter if someone is tailgating at the big game or partying at home, following basic safety rules is important.
- Always have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit on hand. Injuries and fires occur when people least expect them.
- Avoid any clothing, no matter how festive, that blocks the ability to see or move freely.
- Never leave children or pets unattended and be sure that the excitement isn’t too much for them. Often pets can be especially fearful in new situations that may startle them.
- Never use grills, generators or any other appliance that uses gasoline, propane or charcoal inside an enclosed area. This can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning as well as fires.
- Be sure that heaters are not near anything that will catch fire.
Super Bowl parties are great fun, but people should always party safe. By following these guidelines, Super Bowl party goers can cheer for their favorite team, while staying healthy and safe.