When cold weather moves in, it can go from chilly to blizzard in no time. Living in Northwest Indiana, we’ve experienced this a time or two. It’s important to review the weather warnings so you can be prepared for whatever weather comes our way. Learn how to prepare for and stay safe during a winter storm by understanding the winter weather alerts, what supplies and items you need to prepare for a winter storm, and the steps to take to stay safe during a winter storm.
How to Prepare for and Stay Safe During a Winter Storm
Know the Weather Alerts
Winter Storm Outlook – Winter storm conditions are possibly within 2-5 days
Winter Weather Advisory – Winter weather conditions are expected to cause inconveniences that can be hazardous but not life threatening
Winter Storm Watch – Winter storm conditions are possible within 36-48 hours. People in the watch area should stay informed about weather conditions as they may change quickly.
Winter Storm Warning- Within the next 24 hours, life-threatening weather conditions will begin. People in a warning area should take precautions immediately.
How To Prepare for a Winter Storm
When the cold season draws near, it’s important to switch gears and prepare our homes and vehicles for the possibility of a winter storm. Taking the appropriate measures before a winter storm hits can help to protect you from the elements and the risks that come with the cold temperatures. Read on to see how you can prepare for a winter storm.
>>Be in the Know: Prepare Your Home for Cooler Temps in 5 Steps
- Keep your gas tank at least half full, a full tank is preferable. Doing so will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- If you will be leaving your home during the colder months, make sure to leave the heat in your home set to a temperature no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid pipes from freezing.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year to maintain and keep them in good working order.
- Put together a supply kit.
- Radio with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Cell phone and chargers
- Emergency contact information
- Sand or rock salt to make walkways and steps less slippery
>>Learn More: Disposing of Fireplace Ashes the Right Way
Stay Safe During a Winter Storm
Follow these easy tips to keep you and your family safe during a winter storm.
- Keep a small amount or running water (even a trickle) to help prevent pipes from freezing and avoid winter water damages
- All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside and kept clear
- Go to a designated public shelter if your home loses power or heat during periods of extreme cold
- Store extra warm clothing and blankets in your car in case you get stuck in the snow or break down on the road
If even after all the proper precautions you experience a winter water damage, give us a call. AmeriClean is proud to provide 24/7 emergency water damage services to Northwest Indiana.
About AmeriClean, Inc.
AmeriClean, Inc was established in 1986 by Bob Eriks in a small warehouse as a provider of Fire Damage Restoration for Northwest Indiana. Fast forward to today and AmeriClean’s services include Carpet, Upholstery, Air Duct, Area Rug, Ceramic Tile Cleaning; as well as: Water Damage Restoration, Fire Damage Restoration and Mold Remediation. With 30 years of experience, AmeriClean, Inc. is now a leading name in water, fire and restoration services for both residential and commercial properties. For more information, visit our website or call 800.654.9101.